VPN let you access RTCL Network (10.0.0.0/8) without login to a gateway host ( e.g.
, kabru) first.
- Install OpenVPN
- Windows installer and source code can be download from OpenVPN download page
- Linux rpm/deb is available in most distributions
- Open your OpenVPN configuration file directory
- In Microsoft Windows XP, click on Start, All Programs, OpenVPN, OpenVPN configuration file directory
- In Linux, change the current directory to
- Download the following 4 files to your OpenVPN configuration directory:
- OpenVPN client configuration file client.ovpn
- You may need to change the extension of this file to
.conf if you want to use
/etc/init.d/openvpn script to run openvpn on Linux
- The CA certificate of kabru ca.crt
- A client certificate (not really being used) client.crt
- A client key (not really being used) client.key
- Right-click on the file client.ovpn and select "Start OpenVPN on this config file"
- Login with your kabru user name and password
- openvpn GUI on windows
- It is easier to maintain openvpn connections with GUI. Recommended if you use Windows.
- To make more than one connections simultaneously
- To make openvpn connection on CAEN Wireless
- When vpn is NOT working, ssh port forwarding can be used.
- For accessing samba server on kabru, use the instruction in the following page link
- Use 192.168.0.1/22.214.171.124 instead of 10.0.0.0 for loopback device since 10.0.0.0 address is used by vpn
- When setting up port forwarding, the destination port should be set to 10.0.0.1:139
- For accessing a remote desktop on VM
- From a linux/unix box,
- On a Windows box,
- After setting up a port forwarding, run remote desktop client, and connect to localhost (or localhost:3390 if you use port # 3390 instead of 3389).
-- Main.chtsai - 28 Feb 2007